Park Loop Road
The primary avenue for navigating through Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island is the Park Loop Road. This 27 mile road begins at the Hulls Cove Visitor Center (near Route 3 on the northern side of the island) and connects the Park's lakes, mountains, forests, and rocky coast.
Construction of the Park Loop Road began in 1922 and continued through the 1950's. It was partially financed by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who also was the father of the Carriage Roads.
Much of the road is one way. This continues all the way to Wildwood Stables where it begins a two way section that passes Jordan Pond northward where it arrives at the entrance to the Cadillac Mountain summit road.
A fee is required to travel on the one way section of the Park Loop Road beginning just north of Sand Beach where there is an entrance station.
There are several parking areas and pullover points along the way. Take your time and enjoy the sights, stopping often. Watch out for wildlife, particularly in the morning.
Visitor Center GPS: Latitude 44.409286; Longitude -68.247501
Rt. 233 Entrance GPS: Latitude 44.381263; Longitude -68.230050
Entrance Station GPS: Latitude 44.338797; Longitude -68.183168
© 2006 - 2011 Greg A. Hartford
All rights are retained by the copyright and trademark owner.
All other copyrights and trademarks are reserved by their respective holders.